Monday, October 25, 2010

The taxi driver

 Usually I don't get along with taxi drivers.
I do the same mistake and I always start the conversation because I keep thinking that it should be such a great relief to say anything you want to someone you will never see.
So you don't need to worry about what he thinks etc..

But I always end up so irritated when I finally reach my destination. Don't get me wrong, i am not a racist (if you think of taxi drivers as a whole different race) but usually they start blaming immigrants for everything wrong in this country and they drive me mad! Some of them keep talking about how greater they are (their nation)than everyone else, because their ancestors were once great. I know that when I talk with this kind of people I should just shut up and pretend I agree with them, but I simply can't. So, I start telling them that after thousands of years it is impossible that they have even a single gene in common with those people.

It's my fault, I know...One of them nearly left me in the middle of nowhere while shouting that it's a shame I live in this glorious country and that possibly, I am just a spy who came to ruin the perfection of the country we live in.That's when I realized I should have just shut up from the beginning ...

Anyway, I wanted to write this post after I came across with this magnificent taxi driver. Even by his "hello" you could tell he was a bourgeois. In a good way ...

He started talking to me about how much more beautiful our city used to be 40 years ago .He talked about a lot of things but I remember only how amazed I was by his words. It really wasn't a proper discussion because , as I could tell,he had a hearing problem and while he was trying to listen to what I was saying he was turning his whole body back , putting both our lives in danger... So I decided to just let him talk.No answers from me.

Then he asked me about the music I prefer to listen to, I told him (several times till he actually heard what I said) that I listen to almost everything, but that precise day I was listening to Benny Goodman and couldn't stop. He got so excited, started shaking my hand and then he admitted:

He wasn't really a taxi driver!I should have understood... He didn't swear for the whole drive!  So, he was a teacher in a public music school.


This is not a good outcome for drivers after all. I met one of you that i liked and he was a fake one!There is no hope...

But if you want to feel better listen to good old Benny Goodman aka "king of swing". You will immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment